Leonardo"s Notebook by Mattheus Mei

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Cooking with Mattie Mae: Crock Pot Barbecue Chicken

Well people seemed to like my chicken salad recipe, so I thought I'd share what I'm cooking for my little debate get together on Tuesday night -- crock pot barbecue chicken. It's a simple family recipe of sorts. All it is, is an onion or two sliced thinly - some chicken thighs (or leg quarters) and the most important ingredient of all, Carolina Treet barbecue sauce

Now as an aside, I went to Publix down in the Vista and was rather disappointed by the fact that they don't carry Carolina Treet - but they used to... But I did find it at Food Lion, a store that has always carried the sauce and I hope always will.

So you put your sliced onions and the chicken in the pot and drench it, just drench it in the sauce. The secret, as they say, is in the sauce. Cook it on low all day and by the supper time arrives it's ready.

But you don't have to take my word for it - in fact, check out this review of the sauce. It's vinegar based and made in the region I grew up, Eastern Carolina in the Pee Dee and Cape Fear basins. The author of the review says,
This is a thinner sauce than what you usually buy at the grocery. It is a little thicker than the traditional pork vinegar sauce. I can't really think of a good comparison. It really is unique.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: