Leonardo"s Notebook by Mattheus Mei

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.

Thursday, June 05, 2008

McCain doesn't understand Federalism

Ben Smith posted this video from Florida Democrats:

He also linked to a response as to why McCain opposes a national CAT fund, from TAMPABay.com quoting McCain:

"I believe that the United States government is there to assist every citizen in this country in the event of a natural disaster. FEMA still has a long, long way to go," Sen. John McCain said at a Monday media-only press conference in Jacksonville at a private airport. "I think that's an appropriate role of the federal government....That's where I think the federal government responsibility extends. I know that various states have various agreements concerning various types of insurance. And I think that's the best way to do it. I'm a federalist, which means the states are the ones who make those decisions."

In fact his last statement is inaccurate. I'm a federalist, which means the states are the ones who make those decisions. And thus the entirety of American History stands against him on this one. To advocate States' Rights is to advocate anti-federalism, even confederation. Federalism from Wikipedia is shifting power away from the States to the Federal Government. Think Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay, think Constitution.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: