Leonardo"s Notebook by Mattheus Mei

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

British Army Chief says 'There is Life After Death'

According to the Times the head of the Army in the UK has determined that there is a Life after Death and that British Soldiers should "know their options." (that's my pithy interpretation, see the link for the actual details) The following are a couple of interesting excerpts I'd like to comment on

“In my business, asking people to risk their lives is part of the job, but doing so without giving them the chance to understand that there is a life after death is something of a betrayal..."

and

"...I think there is very much an obligation on . . . a Christian leader to include a spiritual dimension into his people’s preparations for operations, and the general conduct of their lives,” he said. “Qualities and core values are fine as a universally acceptable moral baseline for leadership, but the unique life, death, resurrection and promises of Christ provide that spiritual opportunity that I believe takes the privilege of leadership to another level.”

It's talk like this that proves the arguments I heard at a recent lecture by Philip Jenkins. In short Dr. Jenkins sees a decrease in adherence to traditional forms of established Christianity in Europe with a growth to new forms influenced by American Pentecostalism and the "Global South." Interestingly enough Ruth Gledhill says that the MoD is acting like most liberal (relativist, not true liberals) secularist would and shirking away from the comments as well as trying to spin them.

Another interesting fact is that this General is a Member of the Low and Lazy(thanks Dr. Jenkins for that one) branch of the Anglican Church meaning: "The General, an unabashed evangelical Anglican Christian..."(emphasis added)

For some reason this general reminds me of Wilkes the gym teacher from History Boys.
I'm reminded of the Exchange:
Wilkes: What's the matter with you, lad?
Timms: Oh, I've got a note, sir.
Wilkes: How much for? [laughs]
Wilkes: I don't *do* notes! Get changed! God doesn't do notes, either. Did Jesus Christ say, "Can I be excused the Crucifixion?" No!
Scripps: Actually, sir, I think he *did*...

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: