Leonardo"s Notebook by Mattheus Mei

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Gays are coming, the Gays are coming - to Irmo, SC?

"I feel the formation of a Gay/Straight Alliance Club at Irmo High School implies that students joining the club will have chosen to or will choose to engage in sexual activity with members of the same sex, opposite sex, or members of both sexes."

- Principal Eddie Walker

Well the Principal is resigning his post after "being forced to allow" a student club for gays, which as he noted automatically means that people will be engaging in sexual activity all the time - after all that's what gay people do right? They have lots and lots of sex all the time and then encourage others to have sex all the time too.

Oh wait, that's right, that's an unfounded stereotype.

According to WISTV the principal upon allowing the formation of this club and determining the implications there of decided that he had made a decision that didn't jive up with his professional or religious beliefs.
"My decision to resign is a personal choice based on my professional beliefs and religious convictions. I have prayed about the decision for a period of time and I have a peace about it. I would ask that you respect my choice as I respect your choice to disagree with me on this issue."
According to the State News Paper in a letter addressed to the Irmo Nation:
"However due to a recent conflict involving my professional and religious beliefs I sent Dr. Angela Bain a letter of resignation effective June 30, 2009. On May 14, 2008, I was instructed by email to allow the formation of a Gay/Straight Alliance Club at Irmo High School. On May 15, 2008 I told Ms. Ann Pilat to allow the formation of this club for the 2008-2009 school year. Allowing the formation of this club on our campus conflicts with my professional beliefs and religious convictions. I considered resigning this year but reconsidered because to not fulfill my written contract for the 2008-2009 school year would also conflict with my professional beliefs and religious convictions. In my opinion failure to fulfill my contract would constitute a breach of trust with School District Five of Lexington and Richland County, my student heroes, returning Irmo High School employees, and new employees who have chosen to work at Irmo High school for the 2008-2009 school year."
The School District of course is washing their hands of it saying that they could not in fact disallow the students from forming this organization without disallowing all non-curriculum based organizations or a costly lawsuit.

From WLTX this is what the School District said,

“The federal law known as the Equal Access Act does not permit the school to discriminate against a club based on the club's purpose and viewpoint by not allowing it to form unless the purpose of the club is unlawful.”

Don't worry, I'm sure the SC Legislature is already meeting to discuss this.

So it's those pesky gay kids fault for tying the districts hands therefore causing a well liked Principal to resign. Oh yeah let's not forget these gay kids have chosen to organize a group for the sole purpose of having sex, all the time because that's what gays do.

Interestingly enough most of the Students are in agreement that the LGBT students should be allowed to have their club citing such novel concepts of "they're regular people like the rest of us," and the contemptuous question - "what's wrong with being gay?" Parents of course are more reserved and are siding with the Principal - if there's not a Heterosexual Society for free love then why should there be a Gay/Straight Alliance?

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: