Leonardo"s Notebook by Mattheus Mei

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

And the Goliath responds to David

In my zeal this morning and pleasant state of shock, I actually e-mailed my utility about the possiblity of getting renewables within our grid.




Dear Customer Service,
I was reading on the Horry County Landfill and how Santee Cooper generates
electricity from it as a source of green power - are there any plans for SCANA
and it's SCE&G subsidiary to produce green power through methane exchange or
other environmentaly sustainable methods? I would be willing to pay an
additional $3-$10 dollars per light bill as Horry County Residents can to
promote this and I'm sure more residents of Richland/Lexington Counties and the
Midlands would join in.




This is what they had to say:




Dear [Mattheus Mei],

Thank you for contacting us and for your
interest in renewable energy.
SCE&G has part ownership in wind power
projects in Texas. We are also an active participant in and supporter of the
nationally recognized Electric Power Research Institute's ongoing research and
development programs in this area.
At this time, these programs do not
provide the magnitude of generation nor the reliability factor necessary to
operate the SCE&G system. However, we are constantly evaluating
opportunities.
If you need any further assistance, please let us know.
Use the convenient Contact Us link at the top of any page of our Web site or
call our 24-hour Customer Service at 1-800-251-7234.
Thank you for allowing
us to serve you.

SCE&G Customer Service




Hmm... well they don't see methane as feasable nor any other alternative fuel source in SC - but didn't my earlier post reference the various Co-Ops in the state using renewables? It appears they think I'm demanding that they turn all production over to green power. I probably should have been more clear and stated something like "are there any plans to supplement current electricity production with green sources."



Hmm... I don't understand. I say we all write SCE&G, or demand to join the co-ops that do offer renewables in this state.



And what do they mean that they have part ownership in wind farms in Texas - though ap

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: